Thursday, December 11, 2008

Repair a Crocheted Granny Square, Part 2

Did you see the photos yesterday? The unblemished square? The attack of the scissors? Here's part 2 on how I fixed it. So, I've crocheted the new stitches, in this case, 3 dc and a ch-1.


Again, drop the loop and use a smaller hook to pull the ch back through the next set of sts. This photo is a little wrong because that pink working yarn should still be threaded through thos lifeline stitches. If you accidentally pulled it out and it looks like this photo, just get your tapestry needle and thread it through the lifeline stitches again.


Again, the pink working yarn should be in where the lifeline is and where the little hook just pulled the ch through.

This is me putting the pink back where it belongs.


I had cut out one of the dc in the next group, so I need to re-create that, then I attached it to the existing st with a slip st. You should attach it anyway you can creating the least amount of obvious join.


This is what it looks like. Then weave in all the ends and remove the lifeline.



Viola'! Not too shabby. I think, theoretically, you could use this plan for any stitch pattern. Hmm, I hope I never have to try it.

3 comments:

julia said...

very clever!

XENA_BOB said...

I've been working on a Granny Square afghan in 100% wool fingering weight yarn since May, 2010. Last week, I found the very first block I made had a dc come apart (moths?). Your website came up when I looked for a way to repair the block without removing it from my project. Your directions look really easy to follow. Thanks in advance.

Estelle said...

Thank you Ellen! I made 3-foot-square lap robes for my in-laws for Christmas. They both have Alzheimer's. Turns out Dad's a "picker". Found a loose end and managed to unravel part of the blanket. Which part? The CENTER!!! I had used a simple granny square base, then kept up the rounds until it was big enough. He managed to pull out most of the entire center square (3 rounds) before we noticed. Thanks to your awesome instructions and visuals, I was able to repair the blanket! I made a new granny square, but stopped one row short of the size of the hole. Then, instead of a life-line, I estimated (then doubled, just to make sure) the length I would need for the repair, and threaded that through as you did the life line. Of course, I had a heck of a tail, but as I worked the yarn through, it used it up. Made the complete round, pulling the yarn through the next row's stitches, and VOILA! All fixed! Thanks again!